Going Digital — Setting Digital Principles
In order to reach a level of digital business that fits your organization, you need to come up with principles and goals that get you there. These principles and goals can act as tie-breakers in the heat of battle.
What will affect your principles will be whether you believe that you are just a business that leverages digital or whether you are a true digital business. Your organization's strategy could be aimed at diagnosing and eliminating near-term challenges, leveraging digital technologies with a 'bolt on' approach while progressing to becoming a digital business that reflects all of the business goals and principles.
That being said, I have identified a good starting list for business principles and technical principles to use as a jump-start list to add to or delete from. These principles might not work as presented for a highly-regulated organization, but they can be leveraged and adapted.
- Attract and Spoil Customers — start and finish outside in eliminating internal silos
- Build with Inclusion and Organize for Change — agility is better than perfection
- Create Operational Excellence — technology eliminates complexity and reduces cost
- Encourage and Reward Innovation — products, services, processes/apps can grow stale
- Outcomes Ahead of Processes — goal-driven processes/apps and smart actions
- Make 'Visibility to All' a Priority — not just for governance but for results analysis
- Speed Wins over Perfection — evolution works and tech is fast
- Collaborate with the Business First — represents the customer and constituents
- Experimentation is Essential for Innovation — time and legality are the guard-rails
- Composition First Instead of Creation — somebody has already done it
- Agile Development is First Prize — methods and practices encourage iteration
- Scalability and Security Designed Early — explosive growth breaks and attracts
- Design for Sustainability — pillage mentality is dying
- Design with Autonomy in Mind — central control relaxes with goals and constraints
While these principles, and fleshing out the goals that cascade from these principles, may not fit your organization exactly, these should give you a jump-start. It is important for you to define 'digital' for your own organization so you might refer to how I define what it is to be a 'digital business'.
# # #