Going Digital — Setting Digital Principles
In order to reach a level of digital business that fits your organization, you need to come up with principles and goals that get you there. These principles and goals can act as tie-breakers in the heat of battle.
What will affect your principles will be whether you believe that you are just a business that leverages digital or whether you are a true digital business. Your organization's strategy could be aimed at diagnosing and eliminating near-term challenges, leveraging digital technologies with a 'bolt on' approach while progressing to becoming a digital business that reflects all of the business goals and principles.
That being said, I have identified a good starting list for business principles and technical principles to use as a jump-start list to add to or delete from. These principles might not work as presented for a highly-regulated organization, but they can be leveraged and adapted.
- Attract and Spoil Customers — start and finish outside in eliminating internal silos
- Build with Inclusion and Organize for Change — agility is better than perfection
- Create Operational Excellence — technology eliminates complexity and reduces cost
- Encourage and Reward Innovation — products, services, processes/apps can grow stale
- Outcomes Ahead of Processes — goal-driven processes/apps and smart actions
- Make 'Visibility to All' a Priority — not just for governance but for results analysis
- Speed Wins over Perfection — evolution works and tech is fast
- Collaborate with the Business First — represents the customer and constituents
- Experimentation is Essential for Innovation — time and legality are the guard-rails
- Composition First Instead of Creation — somebody has already done it
- Agile Development is First Prize — methods and practices encourage iteration
- Scalability and Security Designed Early — explosive growth breaks and attracts
- Design for Sustainability — pillage mentality is dying
- Design with Autonomy in Mind — central control relaxes with goals and constraints
While these principles, and fleshing out the goals that cascade from these principles, may not fit your organization exactly, these should give you a jump-start. It is important for you to define 'digital' for your own organization so you might refer to how I define what it is to be a 'digital business'.
# # #
About our Contributor:
All About Concepts, Policies, Rules, Decisions & Requirements
We want to share some insights with you that will positively rock your world. They will absolutely change the way you think and go about your work. We would like to give you high-leverage opportunities to add value to your initiatives, and give you innovative new techniques for developing great business solutions.